I do not know if you are aware of this story but there was a trending news article that was making headline about an 18 year old girl named Keziah Daum in America who wore a Chinese dress called Qipao or Cheongsam. Naturally, it triggered a lot of culturally sensitive millennials who were shouting ‘Cultural Appropriation’ from top of their lungs. It started with a Twitter user named Jeremy Lam replying, ‘My culture is not your…prom dress.’
I beg to differ, though.
What’s ‘Cultural Appropriation’ to you may be ‘Cultural Appreciation’ to the person wearing the dress. It depends on the person wearing the piece of clothing. My friend asked me to make a video on the news article and I felt that I need to deliver. The video can be found below.
What was even funnier was how the internet really responded to all this controversy. I am disappointed that I did not come across these memes earlier.
Here are my top five picks:
1) Anakin Skywalker is offended with this picture as it is culturally appropriating Star Wars
2) I did not know that such outfits even existed
3) I honestly have no idea why the internet is obsessed with the Bee Movie
4) There are a lot of rumours online that Mark may not be human. So based on those rumours…
5) The chemistry is explosive in this meme